Friday 25 October 2019

Day 20 - all good things must come to an end

It’s 3.23pm on Thursday and I have two and a half hours until my shuttle gets here to take me to the airport.  I’ve been on my feet since 7 and in this hot, dry heat that LA has delivered this week, I am fading fast!  . Have managed 18k steps already, my feet are sore, my eyes are scratchy and I’m a little bit cranky, which tells me it is time to go home.

Started with a quick trip to the drug store for some requested chocolate for Hayden, followed by final pack upnof my room and onto the first of three buses to get me to Griffith Park and the observatory.  Not great views of LA today - combine the smoke from the Palisades fire with the usual smog and there’s not much to be seen, but still lovely up there anyway.

Struck up a conversation with a cyclist at the top of the mountain who was very interested to find out what bikes Aussies ride (and surprised they were they same ones as in the states).  We had a good old chat about what we love about riding, helmet laws and other road users. It was a heck of a ride up there for him, and he was returning to the San Fernando valley afterward, so I wished him safe riding and started the walk down the hill to get to my next location shot - the tunnel used in the Back to the Future movies.  Immediately recognisable, it is also amazing realising how they chop and change Ange’s and scenes to make things appear longer or flatter or shorter as the case may be.

Back into another bus and it’s back to Hollywood for the Museum of the Dead.  An okay way to spend an hour in a hot day - interesting that they have crime scene pics from the Manson murders and some other bits and pieces from serial killers who’ve served on death row etc.  while interesting, I probably found it all a bit glib - especially the gallery of suicide victims and traffic accident victims - I thought they could have recognised right from the start that these were real people and a modicum of respect could have been shown, but each to their own - one couple happily watched autopsies being performed in the theatre room before leaving.

As I walked along Hollywood Blvd, I hear my name called and would you believe it was my friend from work, Shauna and her bf Carl.  Still cannot believe that she picked me out on the street (I had a hat on so my hair wasn’t anywhere near as obvious).  I had only just been thinking that the regular hawkers hadn’t been trying to shove brochures into my hands over the last three days, so was feeling confident that I didn’t look too touristy.  Then these two come along and before you know it, I’m getting flyers thrust my way.  However upon splitting from them, no further hawking, so it must have just been them!

It was great to see a familiar face after almost a fortnight travelling solo. I’ve enjoyed this adventure but am now ready to head home. I miss my hubby, my kids and my dog - can’t wait to see them all in a little over 24 hours.

So that’s it for another adventure. Next stop, the Camino in 10 months.








No comments:

Post a Comment