Thursday 24 October 2019

Day 19 - closing out the odds and ends

Next to last day before I fly home, so I decided to use my tap card to its full advantage and get around town a bit.

Started early with a walk to my local Target to stock up on candy, cereal and chocolate for the family.  We always bring home some weird convictions that we can’t get in Australia, so family, be forewarned that with Halloween almost upon us here in the States, there are many pumpkin flavoured treats (even M&Ms) to try.  Would you believe I spent over $100 AU just in that one store!

Back to my room to tidy up all those bits into the spare bag I brought with me (I’m taking full advantage of being able to bring two bags on my return flight) and then out again just as quickly to catch the bus to a couple of photo ops - namely the Thriller House (the one featured in the film clip at the end) and the Charmed house which is only a further two houses up the street.  I felt really self-conscious taking the pics until I realised there were three cars in the street doing the exact same thing!

Down the hill and I discovered a glorious little piece of paradise in Echo Park.  My workmate Bernie has mentioned the park when we first started our holiday. It had drawn her attention because you can hire paddle boats shaped like swans out on the lake.  Found the swans in all their glory, but gave them a miss as I think they are definitely a two-person kind of thing - so another thing to add to the “next time” list.

Left Echo Park on what I thought was the correct bus to get me to Santa Monica (or at least to the Metro that would take me there), only to find I was ass about and heading the wrong way.  Jumped off, found the correct bus and was soon on my way through Downtown LA, admiring the architecture and beautiful murals all over the buildings downtown.  Swapped bus for the light rail and before I knew it, I was on my way to the beach.

Today’s PT wasn’t without some interesting characters. First bus stop waiting for the 14 and I got talking to a nearly 80yo woman who works one day a week at the library just to keep her mind active.  She had recently moved to Reseda in the Valley after 63 years of living in Hollywood.  She was curious about my accent and guessed English or Australian after just a few words.  Funnily enough I told her she didn’t sound like an Angelino and that I could hear Eastern, almost NY tones in her accent.  She admitted she was originally from Connecticut - I felt pretty clever with my guess!

The light rail was an adventure, as a lot of the homeless ride it back and forward all day, sprawled across the seats, trying to get some sleep in a reasonably safe environment.  I don’t want to come across as a snob, but there is an odour that I can now identify fairly quickly to know when they are near.  My carriage had three - one who slept the entire time, one who just roamed up and down the carriage and one who talked out loud for the whole trip.  Mostly felt safe until the last other person left the carriage and it was just me and the three boys.  Fun times!

At Santa Monica, I wandered the pier, did a bit of people watching, settled myself at the bar at the original Bubba Gumps for a meal and a cocktail and got talking to the fellow next to me when I heard his accent - I leaned over and asked “any chance that accent I just heard was Aussie?”  Turns out he’s from Melbourne, a Richmond supporter who was at the GF and we had a good old chat about the footy.

Left him propping up the bar, and walked to the hotel we stayed at last time we were in this part of town, as I knew that there was a SoBi rack with bikes right outside. After all, when there’s a beach and an awesome bike path, how could I resist. Pedalled happily down to Venice Beach and back, and comfortably did a bit of on road riding as well.  It is amazing how quickly my brain has adjusted to driving on the opposite side of the road - I find myself automatically looking left first - I hope it switches back just as quickly back home.

Contemplated heading home early, but really couldn’t resist the call of the surf, so took off my shoes and socks and walked on the sand to the water’s edge.  I think I could almost hear my feet sigh with relief as the icy cold water splashed over them and up my tired legs.  Walked about 500m along the beach in the water, shorts got wet and I didn’t care one bit.  As I walked in the direction of Malibu, I was saddened to see that the Palisades fires were still burning, and there was a constant stream of helicopters water bombing the area to try to get it under control. The sunsets would be spectacular down there with the smoke there for the light to bounce off.

Back on the light rail and struggling not to fall asleep after a full day in the sunshine.  Quick exploration of Hollywood to see what had evolved for the film premiere, a bit of last minute gift shopping and an earlyish night repacking, rethinking tomorrow’s movements and looking forward to the flight home.

Don’t tell the family, but I’ve really missed them! 









No comments:

Post a Comment