Wednesday 16 October 2019

Day 11 - Atlanta in a day

Early start at a local bakery for breakfast, where I will not be eating tomorrow. I miss Australian bacon - you know, the type you chew but not crunch.  Streaky bacon is not my bliss!

Spent a couple of hours exploring the Centennial Olympic Park.  The park was built as a public space for the 1996 Olympics held in Atlanta.  It stands as a lasting memorial to the Games and pays tribute to the all of the previous Olympic host cities, the athletes of the 96 Games and the people injured in the domestic terrorism bombing of the park.  I must admit I didn’t really remember that particular incident, but it was the largest pipe bomb explosion in the US, killing one and injuring 114 others.  The Olympics continued in spite of the bombing and the park now has a memorial garden as part of its design.

There are oak trees planted around a fountain of rings, each with a plaque and a flag repressing the host city and country and the fountain plays in time with music four times daily.  It is such a beautiful  space in the heart of downtown Atlanta.  Today’s 3.30 performance included the 1812 Overture, Stevie Wonder’s Sir Duke and Little Mermaid’s Under the Sea.  Two songs that reminded me of my kids (the last two) and one that plays strains of Les Marseilles - the French National Anthem, which is also the tune of the Brisbane Lions theme song.  So all in all a fitting selection!

CNN studio tour after my first exploration of the park, a fifty minute tour of the cable news giant’s Atlanta studios.  Interesting enough, but no photos are allowed for most of the tour so it’s a little underwhelming.  Some interesting facts and interesting to see behind the scenes.

Back through Centennial Park and down to the Center for Civil and Human Rights, where I spent a few hours learning about the Civil Rights movement in America.  I had heard a few of the stories but when you go to a place like this, you really get so much more information and they have designed exhibits that make you feel like you are right in the thick of it.  One of these is sitting at a whites only lunch counter. With headphones on, eyes closed and hands spread on the counter, you have to sit and listen to the hate and vitriol that was aimed at the peaceful protesters.  The stories of the freedom riders who so bravely stood up for their rights and the Southern bureaucrats who fought to keep segregation are all so interesting.  Of course at the centre of this was Dr Martin Luther King Jr and his dream of a nation united.

Horrifying to watch newsreels of governors, senators, police chiefs and other officials in power fighting to oppress the protesters (segregation had been repealed and was illegal but many of the southern states refused to recognise the law), and even watching some set dogs on peaceful protesters as young as five or six.  I have never been more aware of my white privilege as I have during that couple of hours.

Quiznos for lunch - the best value classic lobster footling roll I’ve ever had and then after a short rest at home it was off to watch the fountain and then to the Georgia Aquarium.  Public service announcement - do not believe them if they tell you the splash zone is the first ten rows for the dolphin show. Cos I was row 11 and got throughly soaked - as well as two rows behind me. Those bastards flipped themselves upside down and propelled water right up into the crowd. They are lucky they are so cute or they’d be sushi!  Obligatory wet t-shirt pic included!

Drenching aside, the aquarium is pretty awesome with a great array of displays, two whale sharks in their giant aquarium, beluga whales, sea lions, seals, otters, puffins, penguins and fish galore.  I particularly loved the jellyfish - although no photos, just videos of them!  Now for those who are anti-SeaWorld etc, the aquarium takes in rescue animals, and rehabilitates them for release.  Those that can’t be rehabbed remain at the aquarium to be cared for.

After a couple of hours with the fish it was back for the 6.30 music show, which was a little damper as the predicted rain had finally made itself known.

Dinner tonight was at Twin Smokers BBQ- after all, what would a stay in Georgia be without BBQ?  These guys have two giant smokers, one called Matthew (mesquite) and one called Elizabeth (white oak) and for like $15 you can get a combo tray with two sides (I had corn bread and broccoli salad) and once again America has cured me of eating everything on my plate! Enough for two-three people.  Bonus was that I ordered a drink that I had to prompt them on as I hadn’t gotten it, so they got it for me and then comped it on the bill.  Georgia Peach Tea - sweet bourbon, peach liquor are a great combo and very smooth going down.

Back at my condo now, exhausted but happy to have seen most of what I wanted, but still enough to bring me back for another visit - next time not solo so I can go to other parts without the worry of being a solo female traveller.

Next stop, Phoenix Arizona.





















No comments:

Post a Comment