Friday 18 October 2019

Day 13 - the nerves are kicking in

I feel sick to my stomach. I am a bundle of nerves and trepidation.  I’m sitting in the Greyhound bus station in Phoenix, ready for my bus to Flagstaff, Arizona.  The day is almost here and the self-doubt is setting in.

This is no doubt one of the toughest things I’ve done. Not for the physicality of it, as it is hiking, but more for the fact that we are going to be hiking at altitude, with a full pack and my old enemy, fear of failure is just niggling at the edge of reason.

So my mantra today is the same as the little engine that could - I think I can, I think I can, until it is done.  I can’t wait to see this beautiful country again (hard to believe it is only ten short months since my last visit to the Canyon).

Speaking of the Greyhound, I really wanted this trip to be more than just flights, hence the drive from Orlando, a bus to Flagstaff and following my trek, train back to LA.  As it’s getting to the end of my trip, money is a little tighter as the exchange rate has been a bit of a killer. Point in case, I wanted to eat at Rustler’s Roost last night for dinner. They serve authentic deep fried rattle snake, but with an Uber ride at $20 each way and the meal cost about $35, that’s a US$75 meal for one - about $115 Australian, so I ate at my hotel instead, for only $21 and the company of a local bartender.  This morning I caught the bus (well two actually) to get to the bus station - at a cost of $4 compared to $18 Uber. It all adds up and means I have more to spend on just the incidentals for the rest of the trip.

Waiting here for my coach to arrive, it is an interesting little sub culture who catches the bus. There are the loud, angry, outspoken women who are not happy that they have to sit and wait for connections (72 hours, 72 HOURS, the connection station was closed) and have been asked to step away from the line-up areas. When they get tired of waiting they elect to get into line anyway, and then there’s the woman who turns to anyone who will listen and says that she was told she couldn’t line up yet and they shouldn’t be lining up either.  After ten minutes of loud complaining she joins the first people in line, only to be asked by the security guard for them all to sit down and wait in the waiting area. First woman storms off to customer service to complain, second woman says I told you so to anyone who will listen and they are all giving the stink eye to the guard.  He must be used to this though cos he takes it all in stride.  I catch his eye and he gives me a tired smile.

Then there are the smokers anxiously sucking down their last load of nicotine before their three hour ride,  the tired souls grabbing a bite from the cafeteria before boarding, the mum chasing the active toddler and the young teenager travelling solo avoiding everyone’s eyes, eyes glued to their screen.

Thankfully I get a seat to myself for the entire trip and downloaded enough Vampire Diaries episodes to get me through the 3 hour trip. Thank god for the headphones as there was a guy on board sitting right at the back of the bus who spent the whole trip talking on his mobile at the top of his voice about his clients and their recording deals and contracts and what was included and how an advance works...full credit to the guy he was working his ass off, but let’s face it buddy, if you’re on a greyhound bus to Vegas instead of a flight, chances are you are not yet repping the most successful of performers.

The scenery on the way was beautiful, with the desert giving way to the mountains as we began the ascent to Flagstaff.  At an elevation of 2106m above sea level, it is only 102m behind Mt Kosciuszko in elevation.  While a busy city (Route 66 runs through Flagstaff), the air here is so fresh and so clean that my oxygen sats are better here than in Brisbane - even at the higher levels!

The 1.2 mile walk from the bus station to the hotel was ok, but there is a bit of a blustery wind here today.  Not the best day to have washed my hair as it was already fly away without the wind!

Orientation with Brandon from our tour company, and I’m feeling a little more settled about the next three days. I’ve packed the backpack, unpacked and repacked it twice, taking out things that are probably a bit frivolous, and am now happily settled in a booth at Chili’s waiting for Shrimp fajitas and sipping on Tito’s Punch - a delightful pineapple drink.  Have met the other two people on our hike - a couple from Minnesota - Chad and Tanya, who have hiked a lot. I’ve already apologised to them for my novice status, and hope I don’t drive them too crazy with my slow pace.

No reception in the Canyon, so it will be a longer blog with hopefully lots of pics to follow. See you on the other side!








No comments:

Post a Comment