Tuesday 15 October 2019

Day 10 in the USA - a blockbuster day

Early up and back into the main square of Covington to join the Vampire Stalkers tour of Mystic Falls.  8 seasons of Vampire Diaries (with the exception of the pilot episode) were filmed in the gorgeous little town of Covington which was transformed to the mythical Mystic Falls all as part of tv magic.  To this day it has the highest ratings for a pilot and has two spin off series - The Originals (5seasons) and Legacies (currently in production for its second season).

The clock tower and the main square are both prominent features throughout the series but today was about finding some of the other filming locations around town, including Caroline Forbes’ home, the Gilbert house, Lockwood Mansion, Isabelle’s home and other bits and bobs around the town.

Miss Jess and Miss Angie were such knowledgeable guides, having been involved in the filming as both extras and the owners of a local store where stars would have make up touch ups done, run lines and generally escape the heat of the Atlanta sun.  They had so many stories about the cast, the crew, the homeowners and we even got to go round back of the Lockwood Mansion to see the back yard.  We were even zoomed around town on customised golf carts emblazoned with Salvatore Boarding School - a reference to the second spin-off series - Legacies.

When Sherman marched on Atlanta, he burnt everything in his way.  It was only pure luck that Covington was overlooked on the march and many of their older and more stately buildings remained untouched, thus making it perfect for locations that require period homes.  There is also a house, named Twelve Oaks, which is said to have inspired the house of the same name in Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind.  I’ve put a pic of it in here too as it is just gorgeous. It was formerly a BnB but was recently sold (much to my disappointment as I had wanted to stay in the Salvatore suite), but maybe it will be back open by the time I plan my next trip.

After my tour I sampled a banana pudding milkshake from Scoops Ice Cream Parlour (recommended by Ian Somerhalder from TVD.  Worth the billion calories for the small price!

Then it was back into the car and off to the Road to Tara Museum in Jonesboro.  No guesses what the museum is about - but a hint would be 10 Oscars, best movie 1939 and after inflation adjustment, the highest grossing movie of all time. Of course I’m referring to Gone With the Wind.

The museum is a happy blend of Civil War history, Margaret Mitchell history, book history and movie history.  Found out a few new facts - David O’Selznik signed a deal for a movie only one month after the book’s release.  Olivia de Havilland (Mellie) is the only living remaining main cast member, having outlived even the children from the movie.  George Reeves, who played one of the Tarleton twins went on to play Superman in the tv show (ok I knew that one but it’s still pretty cool!)

Then came the real adventure of the day.  Returning my rental car to the airport.  Of course I missed the last exit where I could buy fuel, so had to do a lap of the arrivals deck, exit the airport, but fuel and loop back.

When I FaceTimed with Brendon this afternoon I told him about my fuel adventure. So her in the US it’s easiest to preauthorise payment at the pump. So I pull up, get out, put my card in, enter my PIN, lift the nozzle and press the button to get the fuel.  Only I’ve parked too far away and I can’t get the nozzle right into the hole. I persevere, thinking I can do this, only to have it gurgle back up at me, so I have to put the nozzle back down, rush around to the (wrong) door to move it closer, rush back around to the right door, move it closer and then start all over again. FFS - they must have been laughing at the dickhead Aussie!  But another non-eventful drive and I’m now back in public transport to get around.

Oh and I forgot, the biggest thing with driving here is that EVERYONE drives with their phone in their hand - texting as they drive.  Georgia is doing a lot of work to stop this practice as they have declared a hands-free state and there are big fines for holding your phone.  Other drivers are also encouraged to deter phone usage, so while I ate my breakfast at an outdoor bakery, I witnessed a number of drivers shouting “get off your phone” or “put your phone down” at the intersection.

Another rule I love here are four way stop intersections.  Everyone has a stop sign and you proceed through in the order you arrived.  If you arrived at the same time, you yield to the right. It works perfectly here. I imagine it would be disastrous in Australia as everyone would be racing to run the intersection!

Back to the public transport - caught the MARTA from the airport $5 return ticket and I am almost door to door from the station.  That means I saved about $20 each way by avoiding Uber and didn’t have to make conversation with my failing voice (yes I am sick again)!

Arrived at my penthouse condo, which is comfortable and central to downtown Atlanta.  A quick exploration of the area to buy some dinner (cooking for myself tonight - I need the vegetables) and happily found myself a little lost before finding my way again.  I always think the best way to get to know a new city is to just walk and let yourself get a little off course. As a result I’ve found my breakfast venue for tomorrow and a few museums I want to explore.

Right now I’m on my comfy leather couch, watching a spot of Harry Potter on cable, planning tomorrow’s adventures. So until then, I’ll add some more pics and see you all tomorrow.














No comments:

Post a Comment