Thursday 1 August 2024

Day 7 - Welcome to your national park






Today has started as a comedy of errors. Having had a good night’s sleep, I packed my gear ready for the next adventure - car camping my way through some of the West Coast’s National Parks.

 

Made the mistake of googling bus options, got myself to the stop (which didn’t exist), so walked to the next. After waiting about 10 minutes I read the sign that said that bus only operates when the trains aren’t. Hopped myself back to the next bus stop that would get me to my destination, no mishaps until I get off the bus and my duffle bag strap breaks - twice. Seems I’ll be getting that new suitcase to bring home after all!

 

Get to the rental place, open the lock box, get my keys, check out my wheels (her name is Joanna and she is a Dodge Grand Caravan). Quick pic and video of damage so I don’t get hit up for it, set up my Navman, phone holder and Bluetooth connection and off we go. 

 

3 blocks in I need to go onto a freeway and I’m in the wrong lane. Indicate my intentions and the nice man in the big firetruck let me in so I could continue on my way. Uneventful trip until I get to Walmart to do some grocery shopping. Get through the checkout and realise my key is no longer in my pocket. Panic sets in. Shit, where have I dropped it, where is it, has someone handed it in?

 

30 minutes (felt like hours) later I had the key in hand - it had been handed in but the 8 different staff members couldn’t remember who had it.  When I got it back the lovely worker looked at me and said “no way Momma you put that key on a chain and you hang onto it.”

 

Key firmly in hand loaded the esky and groceries into the car and pointed to Yosemite, via a service station as there aren’t many servos in the park and I wasn’t taking anymore risks.

 

Now this here is mountain country and when I say mountains, it makes Aussie mountains all look like Mt Cootha..

 

To drive 50km takes about an hour as you wind your way up and down. All worth it though to finally get to the gates, show them my reservation, flash my annual parks pass and start the up and downhill trek to the Upper Pines campground.

 

Now this is no small feat in itself - remember I’m driving on the wrong side of the road in mountain country and these guys don’t do guard rails. And there were some amazing views to see but I was both too scared to really look away from the road and too scared to pull over to enjoy the view. But I did manage to get a park for my first glimpse of Half Dome and a couple of nice pics.

 

Down into the valley and this is the real tourist Mecca- so many people. My campsite alone has over 200 sites and there are another two national park campgrounds next to us and a privately operated one with about the same capacity.

 

Pulled up to the ranger booth, got my car pass and my instructions on camping (complete with bear locker info) and I was off to find site 129.  Backed the car in and set about getting her ready for her first night out.  Pretty simple to put it all together, thank goodness because I had no service to go back and watch the videos.

 

Food and toiletries in my locker, I walked the 1.5k to Curry Village to get a lay of the land, work out where the shuttle goes from and buy a few groceries to top up my store. 

 

Camping here was very different to home - it was relatively quiet, not a lot of noise from the campers beside me. They allow generators from 7am-10pm, and pets are allowed in National Parks so the most noise came from the machines and the dogs.

 

I can see Half Dome from my bed - I can’t believe people climb up there!

 

Bed was comfy, I slept well and tomorrow brings another campsite and new adventures.


1 comment:

  1. Lol. We said the same about the drive up the mountain. Love that you feel the same about comparing mountains. But we'll done kid. One down and more adventures.

    ReplyDelete