Tuesday 6 August 2024

Day 13 - Holding my breath while driving


Texted my rental company about the dash lights, and after getting no response I just decided to risk it and drive the four hours to Palm Springs.
 
I was originally meant to be camping at Joshua Tree National Park, but had received increasingly worrying updates from the NPS about excessive heat warnings, monsoon storms and flash flooding, so I cancelled my booking and found a cheap hotel in Palm Springs to stay at, with the aim of driving into the NP for a couple of day trips - all dependant of course on whether the car could be serviced.
 
No dramas on the drive, but very excited that I drove a good amount of time on the Mother Road - Route 66, and was just blown away by the landscapes as they changed from desert to mountains to desert again.
 
Finally got hold of the rental company after check in and because it’s Sunday they can’t tell me if the car will be fixed until tomorrow, so I’m stuck in my cool, air conditioned room til I hear from them.
 
I did decide to go for a walk to find some dinner and walked the 2.5km to a nice little family-owned Chinese restaurant. This was at 6.30pm in 38!degree heat - I walked home with my meal and it was still piping hot when I sat down to eat in my room.  The wind is like the rush of hot air you get when you open up an oven door - only constant.  There are misters outside a lot of businesses but it’s so hot you barely notice the mist and it’s not always cooling. I certainly have an appreciation for people who live here permanently!
 
The walk back was worth it though, as I had a chance to chat with Hayden about the footy and then Brendon called and walked me the rest of the way back. It’s funny how just a voice from home can be a lifeline when you’re feeling a bit homesick and lonely. Been did the same thing when I was in Spain on one of my walking days he talked to me for about half an hour as I walked into Sarria, watching my little dot move along on the Find my iPhone app.
 
The pool looks inviting here and I might have a dip tomorrow - providing it doesn’t feel like bath water. I did laugh when I looked at reviews for the hotel and they asked if the pool was heated. But then winters are cold here so maybe I should cut them some slack.

1 comment: