Tuesday 6 August 2024

Day 14 - Marking time in Palm Springs






I’m beyond frustrated today as I should be in my air-conditioned camper exploring Joshua Tree National Park.  Instead I’m dropping the camper off to get checked and making my way around town by bus.

I dropped the car across town, and went and had breakfast at a nearby Maccas. I’d already been warned that they would have the car all day, so planned to do a full day at Joshua tree the next day to at least salvage some of the trip.


While sitting in Maccas I scrolled through social media and realised that a way to keep cool and finally avoid all of the Deadpool and Wolverine spoilers was to go to the cinema, so I downloaded the local public transport app and bought an all day pass and jumped the number 2 bus to Cathedral City and the closest cinema.


Pleasantly surprised to pay $10 Australian for recliner seats that were so comfy if the movie was bad I could easily sleep in them. No fear of that though, as Ryan and Hugh delivered an absolute spectacle.  Movie over and I thought I might see another, but I refrained in the hope I might get a call to pick up the car and could plan some star gazing in JTNP.


Jumped the number 1 bus to go back to my hotel only to realise after ten minutes I’d gotten on the wrong bus and it was going the opposite direction. Meh, I had nothing else to do, so rode it to the end and then took it all the way back to my hotel. 


Now the saddest thing about the bus is that this is the only way that some of the city’s homeless population can get out of the heat, so they ride the bus back and forward all day to stay in the cool.  It is really tough to watch these poor souls spend their money on a bus ticket, and the bus drivers often just let them on if they don’t have the money. They are mainly harmless, but can be quite territorial and if someone gets on the bus they don’t like it can escalate into a yelling match.  I just smile and try not to make eye contact too often.


Looked at some local things to do and decided to walk to the main business district (5k round trip) to see the controversial “Forever Marilyn” statue, the Lucille Ball sculpture and the Palm Springs Star Walk (their version of the Hollywood Boulevard of stars).


Called the rental company to see when I can expect the car and they’ve advised they have to get parts in and I won’t get it til tomorrow “some time” so it looks like Joshua Tree will have to be another time.  And now I need to find something to do tomorrow.

Back via the liquor store and I’m holed back up in my room, eating leftovers from last night and planning. Let’s see what I can find (that I can get to with PT).

No comments:

Post a Comment