Sunday 11 August 2024

Day 17 - A day spent time wasting in Vegas



No plans for today after I decided not to do the kayaking session I’d looked at - my rehabbed shoulder probably isn’t up to 5-10km and the heat under this Vegas sun would result in radiation burns off the water that would put Australia to shame.


Had a bit of a lie in before staying in the air con of our neighbours at the Venetian, where I cruised the shops. Breakfast at Denny’s, which was not great - the food was fine but I’m over holiday meals now and am just craving normal food.

Walked South on the strip, through the Miracle Mile of shops, did a bit of gift purchasing for the boys and then jumped on the Deuce again and cruised downtown to Fremont St which is much quieter and dirtier in the daylight.  Got some photos of the Plaza to compare to Biff’s images I found online and got promptly back on the air conditioned bus!  The ride would have been lovely, except for the very loud Arizonan who insisted, at the top of their voice that Phoenix was much cleaner than Vegas, much prettier, better planned, had more beautiful women, better transport, would never have taken tourists through these dirty, shitty streets - you get the gist. And it wasn’t like he was sitting next to me that I could hear this conversation - he just spoke with the volume and authority that only (some) Americans speak at, like everyone wants (and needs) to hear them  and their opinions.  I stood 20m from him on the street after we got off the bus and could still hear him loud and clear.


I seem to be a lot less tolerant this trip, this heat has been really doing a number on me, so after a walk up and down the Linq promenade and a delicious Ghirardelli’s Gold Rush sundae (vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, chopped almonds and a chunk of white chocolate with sea salt) I went back to my room for a rest and to plan my travel for the MJ Live show at the Sahara and my trip to the bus station for my ride to Anaheim tomorrow.


After a quick nap, I was back waiting on the strip for the bus to the Sahara. It is so hot at the moment that just that 5 minute wait in the sun is energy-sapping, and when the bus pulls up and it is full and you have to wait another ten, you wonder if you’ll just melt into a pulpy blob on the sidewalk.


Thankfully no blobby mess this time, but the next bus was packed too, so it was a squishy, hot mess on the bus too.


Had a great meal at the Sahara at one of their signature restaurants, Noodle Den.  Beef and broccoli, brown rice and vegetable spring rolls - those vegetables were so welcome after only eating fries and bananas and watermelon for a few days! Delicious meal and very attentive wait staff but phew, those meals are expensive - US$60 including tip makes for expensive dinners post conversion.


The tipping has been interesting here. I have no issues (well I have a whole issue with paying people a liveable wage - but that’s for another time) tipping wait staff, housekeeping, shuttle drivers etc, but with the new tap machines for cards, everywhere now asks for a tip (or select no tip). Buy a pair of socks? How much would you like to tip? Go to McDonalds and get a burger. How much would you like to tip? I don’t know if it’s just that that is how point of sale readers are set up now, but it seems that everyone has their hand in your pocket now, looking for a tip for their service.


But I digress. I was at the Sahara to see arguably one of the leading Michael Jackson impersonators - Jalles Franca and he did not disappoint. Sang and danced to a whole swathe of MJ songs and did a really authentic job of it. Would definitely recommend seeing it if you’re in town. But you do have to get past a little bit of hype-up woo-hooing that just doesn’t sit well with us Aussies.

 

Last night in Vegas, tomorrow is the last leg of my trip, with two nights in Anaheim and a three day pass to Disneyland. Goddess grant me the patience to stand in line in the hot sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment