Wednesday 5 September 2018

CQ18 - Day 4 - nothing to say but thank goodness that one is done

Tough day in the saddle today.  The combination of almost non-existent training, the heat and the humidity really hit me for a six today.  Still a beautiful day’s riding, but the stint after lunch left me tired and emotionally shattered on arrival to Atherton.

This is our longest day today, a touch over 90km, with rest stops at two wineries - bloody typical given I’m on my no alcohol year!  The first winery was a mango farm and while I didn’t imbibe, just the smell was enough to get the taste buds tingling.  I have their website details committed to memory so come December, look out!  The second winery at the lunch stop is a familiar stop as Hayden and I had lunch there on our 2013 tour.  Beautifully shaded eating areas, lush green grass to rest on, it lulled me into a false sense of security for the final 30k of the day.

Lots of highway riding in this section, with small road shoulders and a few impatient drivers.  One particular branded truck made a very close pass to me, which really shook me up and had me on edge for the remainder of the day, even when we branched off onto quieter back roads.  Carrying that tension isn’t healthy when you’re trying to concentrate on the road conditions, the damn wind that swirled from side to front and back to side again, and the heat of the midday sun beating down.

To get me the last 15k I pulled off the road, soaked my jersey with water, soaked my buff and put it in my helmet, spotted a rider in the distance and paced myself to them, at least u til we got to a 14% gradient hill, at which point I promptly dismounted and walked up.  I knew if I pushed to the top I’d get there, but may not have had enough in the tank for the remainder of the ride.  Good decision as the stretch of the legs and back as I walked up worked in my favour and the last 15k flew by.

Atherton is a lovely town with a huge Main Street with lots of shops and cafes to explore.  I have no tour booked tomorrow as I want to just rest, so will spend the day exploring town and getting my wits about me for Friday’s big climb - the 2k ascent to Herberton.

So for now it’s time to brush my teeth, kick back with my book and prepare for a good night’s rest.  Not sure if there will be a blog tomorrow - let’s see if there is anything exciting enough to report back on!

No comments:

Post a Comment