Saturday 8 September 2018

CQ Day 7 - E = mc2

We all know that famous formula don’t we? Some of us understand it more than others. Some of us don’t understand it at all? Today’s blog is brought to you by that famous scientific theorem.

Millaa Millaa has not changed a great deal from 2013 - except that the cafe that made the most amazing lumberjack cake had shut down - imagine slogging your guts up hill and down dale with your heart set on said piece of cake and not getting it! That was me apres velo yesterday.

I recovered enough to have two serves of the delicious seafood paella for dinner (I know - seafood on CQ!) and chatted with some fellow Brisbanites over dinner.  I even managed to give them some tips on bike paths near the airport and around Pinkenba.

While I was getting my nightly coffee, Di asked me if my blog was up and after a quick chat, someone looked at my leg and asked if I was “Sue with the leg tattoo who did the blog” - you could have knocked me over with a feather. Turns out she had been talking to Andrew H who had told them about my writing.  She was very complimentary and I was more than a little chuffed.

So after a fitful night’s sleep we left Millaa Millaa in a haze of mist and worked our way to Malanda, home of the best flavoured milk in the world.  The girl guides really looked after us for morning tea, which was a good thing as we wound our way up and down hills for 20+ks - this is one of the hillier rides I’ve done!

Only a short ride to lunch but what an amazing spot. BQ outdid themselves by booking out the entire car park area just for us - Lake Eacham, one of the most pristine waterholes you will ever swim in.  And swim I did - I’m not sure if it was even a minute between dropping my bike, stripping off my jersey and plunging into the cool and refreshing water.  Never mind the croc warning signs - nothing was keeping me out of that water.  They are only freshies after all and are well fed on the fish in the lake.

Super lunch it was too - got me an egg sandwich, packet of lollies (Hayden will enjoy those as a reminder of past CQs) a refreshing oj chatted with Phoebe and Irene for a bit and then back into the water for another dip.

Finally it was time to leave - and we were in for a treat!  Full closure of the Rex range while we descended over 16km of downhill.  After another 10k of climbs and dips (thanks Phoebe for your support on that big climb - it was good to have someone to swear at!) it was finally my moment. Every day I spend hours on the uphills being passed by all and sundry.  Today was my day and I grasped it with both hands.  Today I passed 107 riders on the downhill - yep I counted - and was not passed by another rider on the range.  It’s a nice technical down that involves a bit of feathering if speed to avoid plunging over the side and today I nailed it!  I got a nice compliment about my descending yesterday after a downhill run so I think I channeled all of that positive energy into today’s efforts! There have to be some benefits to carrying extra weight and that’s where E=mc2 came into play!

The final 10k was a pleasant roll into Gordanvale where we are camped next a sugar cane field with a perfect view of the natural pyramid famous in the area.  In fact the local footy club where we are camping is called Pyramid Power (and are the same colour as Port Power).  Had a great chat with the gentleman who founded the club and discovered a kindred footy spirit in Ambo Dan who plays Aussie rules at the Sunny Coast in a Masters side.  When he told me he played over 60s I found it he’d to believe as he is a powerhouse on the bike and does not look his age!

So now it’s time to head to dinner - it’s roast and vege night tonight - and it smells amazing as I sit here writing this.  It’s hard to believe my 8th CQ is almost over, with only one day left of riding before the bike is packed away and I fly back to my normal life in Brisbane.  The time has flown again and thoughts are already turning to next year’s adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment