Sunday 2 September 2018

CQ18 Day 1 - heading on up to the Daintree

What a fabulous day in the saddle!  This is truly one of the most picturesque areas you could be riding in in Queensland, with sweeping, green mountain ranges on one side and pristine sand leading to the  crystal blue ocean on the other.   

It was a later than normal start out of Mossman (10am), and with the equivalent of a nuclear reactor on my back from setting up camp and bike yesterday, I tried to stay out of the sun until I absolutely had to be at the start line.  As a result it was 10.40 before my 2018 Adventure began. PS you know your sunburn is bad when every woman who walks past comments on the colour of your neck - yep, I’m a redneck!

So I told you that there were some new things about this year’s ride - the first being our caterers.  I’m dreaming of a whole week of riding where I do not hear the term ‘tandoori wrap’ and that dream may well come to fruition this year.  Last night we had steak and sausages, boiled potatoes, pasta and a fresh salad along with a bite size dessert.  Lunch today was a selection of rolls (meat and salad), the obligatory Jatz and cheese (which I love!) and real orange and apple juice.  Dinner tonight - Shepherd’s Pie and a cheese platter (I know!) - variety really is the spice of life.

So relatively uneventful day on the road, although starting at the back meant I encountered riders who rode like Brown’s cows - the TO in me wanted to have stern words with a few riders!

Lunch at Wonga Beach - a beautiful spot to rest, reapply sunscreen, refuel and replenish supplies.
And then into the most gorgeous spot we have camped yet -  Daintree Village.  We are staying in the school grounds, which is only a couple of hundred metres from the Daintree River.  Our gate keeper today was the lovely Phoebe from BQ - so there was no sneaking in cos she knows me!  Oh and Russell, if you’re reading this, Phoebe named me as the person to take complaints to today - but no one has approached me - given you aren’t here, is that just a coincidence?

After tent set up, chatting to my new neighbours (how cool to have new besties every day) and while waiting for the showers to be set up, I wandered down to the river and found my way onto the Crocodile Express - a flat bottomed boat piloted by a very knowledgeable local who knows many of the local haunts of the local crocs.  Some interesting facts - the crocs in the Daintree are actually estuarine crocs - but they are called saltwater crocs, however they can live in both fresh and salt water.   The tides in the Daintree rise and fall up to 3 metres each tide and the local rainfall is about 6 metres per year!  It’s no wonder the river is up to 2k wide in places.

We were lucky to spot Barrett, a local croc sunning himself on the bank before he slid off into the water, where we followed him as he made his way upstream.  Also spotted plenty of bird life and was schooled in the local botany - even trying wild hibiscus petals, which are surprisingly sweet.

Back to camp where I was frustrated that the showers had broken down again, so I refrained from writing my blog until I was showered and fed - I don’t want to put a negative taint on such a wonderful day.  This is a truly magnificent part of the world and I will definitely be returning with family in tow to explore further one day.

Tomorrow we retrace some of our steps on the way to Port Douglas, where I am determined to sample the local seafood - hopefully some fresh prawns and perhaps a crocodile burger ( they tell us it tastes like chicken).

No comments:

Post a Comment