Friday 5 September 2014

Cycle Qld 2014 - Agnes Waters to Coolum

It's been a while between posts, but the year has rolled around so quickly again.

2014 sees me back on my single road bike after completing the last two Cycle Qld's with my trusty turbo (read 13 year old son) on the back of a tandem.

I have mixed feelings about this years ride, as I've really enjoyed the chance to bond with my boy as we explored new places by bike, but at the same time, a bit of "me" time may be just what the doctor ordered.

For those of you new to the concept, Cycle Qld is an annual touring ride organised by Bicycle Qld.  Each year, up to 1000 cyclists cycle approximately 5-600 km in this beautiful state of ours on a 9 day pedalling adventure.  It's not a race, not a fundraiser and not just for the roadies.  I've seen riders of all ages, shapes, sizes and levels of fitness.  I've seen roadies, recumbents, mountain bikes, tourers, tandems, trailers and cruisers.   Men and women, old and young, the commonality across the group is the love of the bike (except on day 9 when you finish and swear you will never sit on that damn seat again).

The ride is fully supported, which means you ride from one town to the next carrying just what you need for a day's riding.  Tents, clothes and all of the other creature comforts are transported by truck from site to site. There are toilet trucks and shower trucks to meet the basic needs.  Catering is supplied and there is always plenty of variety at our roadside rest stops, which are run by local groups to fundraise for their charities.

Each night there is entertainment including a ride briefing, live bands and plenty of opportunities to catch up with friends and make new ones.  I'm not one to actively look to meet new people (call me shy!), however I've met some great people out on the road who I'm really pleased to call friends now. They're the ones I'm most looking forward to seeing when we get to camp on Saturday.

So follow me as we venture onto roads unknown.  It's Friday evening, we are all set up and tomorrow the adventure begins.  Can't wait to get out on the road and report back on the sights and sounds of Cycle Qld 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment