Saturday 27 July 2024

Day 4 - Seattle at its finest







Another jam-packed day ahead, starting with the Underground Tour - a short walking tour of the Pioneer Square area of the city and a really interesting look at the history of early Seattle. 

For those who don’t know, Pioneer Square was originally built at sea level and was the thriving business-centre. But due to the tides, the roads were muddy, the sewers didn’t work correctly and following a devastating fire that wiped out the area, they began a rebuild that didn’t address any of those issues. Until someone suggested raising the street height one storey, which they did. So all of those buildings which had started being built had a ground floor that was suddenly beneath the streets.

 

The tour was entertaining and very informative , but most of all, our tour guide Adam was freaking hilarious. Teaching history through humour means I remember so much more of this tour than so many others I’ve done!

 

Onto the light rail and monorail again to the Seattle Centre where I visited the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit, which was both breathtaking in its beauty and mind blowing in its design and construction. I spent hours wandering through the gardens marvelling at the craftsmanship.

 

Lunch at the Armory (TVD fans will know I quietly loved the name) was a really bad option as I went to “Premium Meat Pies” Now, the US does a great sweet pie but they are yet to master a good savoury meat pie. I had a shepherd’s pie ($11US) that I ate because I’d paid so much for it. It was less than the size of the palm of my hand, had pastry like cardboard and the filling was more potato than meat, with little gravy to bind it all. Disappointing, but an A for effort.

 

Following lunch, it was off to the International Fountain to just relax and kick back. It was nice being able to watch the kids playing in the sunshine and just be kids.

 

The Space Needle was next, and who doesn’t love going up high and looking down at the world and enjoying the view. Really wasn’t going to do it but so glad I changed my mind. It was such a clear day it felt like you could see forever.

 

Quick bit of shopping on the way home, grabbed some Korean BBQ from the place next to the hostel for dinner and at 8.30 I thought I was done for the day.

 

That is, until I checked my credit card statement and realised the museum ticket was US$78.  When I checked my ticket I realised I’d bought entry to the exhibit and the Space Needle - and not knowing had bought a second ticket to the Space Needle.  So I hopped back into my street clothes, got on the train and the monorail and did the Space Needle by night! So much for that nice early night - it was 11pm by the time I got back to my room again but worth every second!

 

Tomorrow morning I’m off to San Francisco by train - won’t you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment