Sunday 10 September 2023

Sometimes a change-up is all you need to get things right.  Sometimes you have to listen to what your body is telling you to get things right.  Sometimes it’s a little bit of both.

Today started with a Paris by Mouth food tour, starting at the St Germain Markets (operating since the 1200s) in the 5th Arrondissement.  This should have involved a single RER ride, however with an issue on the tracks, I had to recalibrate and jump two Metros to get to the start point.  Once there, I explored the market, bought a couple of bananas and nectarines from the local produce stores and waited to see Rach and the rest of our tour group.

Our guide, Amber, talked us through the differences between croissants pure beurre and pan traditional, sheep’s/goat’s/cow’s cheese, chocolate, pastries and wines - all in the scope of a walk and a tasting in the cellars of a local wine merchant.  While I loved all the flavours and learned a lot, by the end, the rich flavours had taken their toll on my tummy, and I was ready to have a lie down in preparation for a fondue restaurant booking we had for that evening. Bonus though was watching the final quarter of the Lions qualifying final in air-conditioned comfort!

Turns out that rest included a two hour nap, that did just the trick and I was ready with a second wind.  Unfortunately Rach didn’t feel up to the fondue, so I cancelled the booking (I’ll just have to come back again with Brendon next time to sample the food), and wondered what to do in this beautiful city.

In the spirit of making things up, I decided to walk to the Arc d’Triomphe and retrace the steps Hayden and I had taken past our old hotel and down to the river to the Eiffel Tower.  However then I threw a curve ball in the mix and decided to do one of the Bateaux-Mouches’ river cruises, a lovely, leisurely (but also educational) cruise along the Seine.  Sadly, the boat had more than it’s fair share of influencers one board, curating their TikTok content, dancing, performing and posing - I doubt they heard any of the commentary and sometimes prevented other from doing so with their music playing.  Bonus though, the cruise was perfectly timed, the return journey captured a gorgeous sunset.

Off the boat, and I decided to walk to the Place de la Concord to check out the Obelisk and found myself surrounded by rugby fans, as that was the Parisian headquarters of rugby celebrations.  PS thanks to the All Blacks for losing to France, you probably helped us all avoid riots in the streets.  The French were all much friendlier this morning!

Walked the length of the Champs Élysées, found a local Indian restaurant for a butter chicken (the belly is starting to settle), and back to the hotel at 10.30pm for said dinner.  Crazy how everything happens so late in this part of the world.  Some of the restaurants don’t even open until 8pm.

Feeling a lot better than I was this morning, I guess I’ll just have to avoid the rich French cuisine for a bit to let things settle.  But then again I’m off to Disneyland tomorrow, so that could be problematic!













No comments:

Post a Comment