Monday 29 August 2022

Whitsunday Adventure Day 4 - the best day of my life (well apart from the other obvious ones!)


 What an adventure we are having.  After retiring to bed late last night (10.30pm is late on the boat), I woke up to the sound of the engine starting and the boat moving.  We were dragging the anchor, and Captain Dan had made the decision to move us from our spot into the Nara Inlet, so when we woke up it was to a brand new view.


With the weather playing all sorts of cards the last couple of days, the plan to walk to the Cairn was changed to a walk to the Ngaro caves, set at the end of the Nara Inlet, where, after many more steps we listened to recorded messages of Ngaro elders talking about their experiences - some wonderful and happy and others that made me feel so ashamed of what the white man has done to this noble people.


The cave paintings were very different to the ones we saw at Carnarvon Gorge - as these ones depicted sea-farer’s life.  Cast nets, woven baskets, even what I thought might be a crab painted in yellow and red ochres.


Up anchor and we cruised around to the Hook Island reef.  A delicious lunch on board, followed by a snorkelling briefing and we filled up two tenders and headed to the drop off to explore.


What an absolute delight it was to snorkel on the reef.  Just the coral formations themselves are magnificent - so many different types of coral - the soft, grassy tendrils, the brain-like hard corals, the glorious colours - blue, pink, yellow, orange, red, purple and then the fish life darting in and out of the coral.  Schools of small fish dipping in and around, larger fish cruising gracefully by.  Rainbow fish, parrot fish, gar fish - so many species and so much colour on display.  I could have stayed there for hours watching the fish in and out of the reef, spotting different types, and admiring their dexterity as they flashed into tiny crevices.  A few even ventured quite close by - it was just such a serene and calming experience.


I had my GoPro with me, and thought I had filmed the entire 30 minute snorkel, but unfortunately back on deck I realised there was no SD card in my camera, so all that work for no physical memories.  I will have to just use my mind to remember the glory that is the Great Barrier Reef and plan a return to experience it again.


On return to the boat, the crew got the Tarzan swing out and a few of our more bold travellers (Mette, Monique and Rach) braved the swing off the bow into the crystal clear waters.  I wanted to have a go but was very aware of my dodgy shoulder, so after a suggestion from crew member Adam, I opted to jump off the bow instead.  Unfortunately I slipped as I was getting into position and have wrenched my right shoulder, rending it pretty much useless.  It may mean an end to my adventure getting on and off the tenders, so will have to wait and see how it progresses.


Delicious dinner last night of barbecue chicken, fried rice and the most divine vegetable bake I’ve ever tasted.  Taylor our host has kept us so well fed, with tasty, high carb meals every day - breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner and dessert. And best of all I’ve found a fellow Vampire Diaries fan, so we’ve been talking Ian Somerhalder and I’ve shown off my Comic Con pics to someone who appreciates them!


Early to bed for me, a few episodes of tv shows to catch up on, and a restless night’s sleep as my shoulder was giving me a few niggles.  Looking forward to the day’s adventures, but pretty sure it won’t top snorkelling in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment