Saturday 12 September 2020

Day 1 - over-ambitious hurts

 6am - we set our feet on the trail and start our rail trail adventure in Kilkivan. Day one is set for 27-29km dependant in which map you’re looking at, so we started early and planned our first stop at the 10km mark.  The track is well established although rough underfoot with lots of rocks - as you can imagine, it being a decommissioned railway line.  The first 22km is a gradual uphill through farmland - not a lot of cover and just the occasional cutting to provide shade.  We set our pace at 4km/hr and stayed on track until 10km when our plans of stopping were foiled by a particularly nasty magpie who swooped is from about 9k to 10.5k.  This guy was mean - he was a front on, swoop into your face type, but thankfully he didn’t like our hiking poles so it was just bombing without any strikes.

The cuppa on the side of the trail was hearty and just what was needed to revive us for the next 6km stretch, along with some rehydrated muesli and snack bars.  Following this break the pace started to drop off as we began to feel fatigue set in, and our next rest at 21km was really beginning to test our fortitude putting the packs back on.  So too was our second magpie of the day!

Another cup of tea at 25km, electrolytes for me to try to get my hydration under control - and we trudged the last 3km to Goomeri where we found some friendly locals who pointed us in the direction of the Showgrounds.

It’s fair to say on my behalf that everything hurt. Blistered  feet and toes, aching back and shoulders, sore shins and ankles - it was more painful than my first day in the Canyon and sadly the hydration issues I was having left me nauseated and in dire need of a bathroom. My left knee was swollen and the area below my melanoma surgery site was retaining fluid so keeping an eye on that was also a concern.

Tent set up was quick and I’ve never felt better than lying flat on my back resting my aching body inside my tent.   A hot shower helped ease the aches and pains and a short, limping walk to the local pub for a drink and dinner rounded out the night.

Rachel and I had some thoughtful discussion about continuing - with my back having small spasms and my feet screaming to be given a break I was ready to pull the pin there and then but we have decided to sleep on it to see how our rested bodies feel in the morning.

While I was exhausted and in bed by 8, sleep was a little elusive and was more that half awake half asleep state you reach when you are on alert.  I heard fellow campers go to the bathroom, the cattle truck unhitch and unload and rehitch across the road, the night boards singing and a fellow having a long conversation on the phone with a friend.  When I finally slept I was rudely awoken by both hammies going into simultaneous spasm and when I tried to get out of my tent, both calves went out in protest.

So now it’s time for some breakfast and a discussion of how we are going to progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment