Saturday 5 January 2019

Schoolies Day 28 - End of (New York) Days

Final day in New York and the boys started the day with a visit to the 9-11 Memorial and Museum. My last visit to New York I visited and was so overwhelmed by the experience that this time I opted not to go with the them.  

So after safely delivering them to the site, I walked a few blocks to grab what turned out to be not only the best coffee in New York, but the best coffee I have had ever.  The cafe, Laughing Man coffee, is owned by High Jackman and supports free trade and supports small coffee farmers. Of course I dropped by hoping Hugh would be in (he lives just up the road), but it was a Monday, and he generally does weekends).  Coffee was amazing - I’ll be looking at options to bring some back and may have to invest in a coffee machine - that’s how good it is!

Another short walk and I hired a Citi-bike - another rideshare scheme and ride along the Hudson River from Chambers Street all the way up to 89th street - about 100 blocks along the riverside.  The bikeway is a wonderful separated path that runs from Battery Park all the way up to the Washington Bridge.  After my little haunt north, I turned and headed back to 23rd street where I racked my trusty steed and walked the avenues to meet the boys at Eisenberg’s Sandwich Shop, which is directly across from the Flatiron building.  

I had wanted to eat at Katz’, but hadn’t made the trek there so this was my next option - on recommendation from Ron Howard’s Instagram post earlier in the week.  Couldn’t go past the Corned Beef and Swiss sandwich and while it was delicious, it didn’t live up to the one I had at the Borough Markets in London!

Next stop, the High Line in Chelsea.  This repurposed train line sits high above the crowded streets and is a gorgeous green space for everyone to enjoy.  We then jumped on the subway to Washington Square where we scoped out the location for one of the scenes in the Avengers: Infinity War and then to 177a Bleeker St to find the Sanctum Santorum - Dr Strange’s New York Institute base.  As the rain started to fall we continued out location scouting, swinging by the Ghostbuster’s Firehouse before a further walk up and over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Home after that, with an early flight out in the morning, we watched the New Year’s (wet) celebrations from across the river on TV, glad we hadn’t decided to stand in the cold and wet to brave the crowds.

Sad to leave NYC but happy to be moving into our next city - the over-the-top culture of Las Vegas.








No comments:

Post a Comment