Sunday 2 July 2017

CQ17 - Goondiwindi to Brisbane - the countdown begins

Here we are again, a new month and only 10 weeks until my favourite part of the cycling year.  Year seven sees a route similar to year one, with CQ travelling from Goondiwindi through to the Gold Coast, with stops in Yelarbon, Texas, Stanthorpe, Woodenbong, Kyogle and Murwillumbah.

It promises to be an interesting ride - crossing the range twice and travelling through so many different landscapes.  The last time we did this ride it was a cold and frosty time of year, with temps in the single digits.  It certainly made for some chilly morning rides and some wet and cold pack ups each day.

So with ten weeks to go, I thought it best to commence my training this weekend.  The last six months is probably the most cycling-poor period I've had since 2011 - I could count the number of rides on both hands in that time.  I wish I could blame it fully on my knee problems, but let's face it, it's not so much the knees as the mind that needed a good, stern talking to.

While I've been walking a lot, the bike has been neglected.  I gave myself any number of excuses not to ride and will now pay for that mindset as I work to get myself back into some semblance of bike-fit to tackle the ride.

Two rides this weekend, including some multiple Gateway crossings have made for tired, heavy legs. However with a training plan now firmly in mind, the way is open to get some of my previous fitness back and begin the slog to conquer the Texas to Stanthorpe ride - a particularly hellish memory from 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment